So, been a few days, lots to update on.
We got the replacement drive a day late, but luckily, there were no problems. Put the new drive in, and it got marked as a spare. Kinda wish the Xserve RAID behaved like the Promises, in that the new drive would be rebuilt and the original spare would go back to being a spare, but, no big deal.
We ordered some hardware late last week. Mainly a new power supply for one server, and a new Xserve. Should be a lot of fun to play with. The Xserve has a Geforce GT120 in it, so stuff that uses OpenCL or CUDA should be able to take advantage of it. I’m looking forward to running BOINC on it when it comes in. =)
Thursday was a short day, as I got off early and headed to Walla Walla, WA for the long weekend of the 4th. We were there until Sunday. Long, hot, weekend with Tara’s family. Was nice, though kinda missed a couple of her cousins not showing up. The drive is really frickin’ long (about 350 miles), but it’s pretty. The Columbia River Gorge is, I think, one of the most beautiful places on earth. And although a lot of people seem to dislike the Windmills, I love them. They’re really “other worldly”, and graceful. Plus, they’re not polluting. There’s a coal plant out on that end of the state, and I really would love to see it removed/shutdown once there are windmills there to replace it.
Overall, good weekend.
Back at work today, it’s been fairly boring. Summer is rather slow this year. But, it’s letting us get some stuff done. I really am needed to code up some more stuff, and I’m slowly working myself out of a coders block. I just imported my car gas log into MySQL so I can update the average mileage on my site, as well as do some more nifty google API graphing. But, that’s a bit down the road. I’m really hoping I can make a nifty page for adding fuel tanks via my iPhone while I’m on the road. We’ll have to see. It’s been a long time since I’ve done any real MySQL work, but I’m relearning, and picking up new stuff this time. Hopefully there’ll be something on the sidebar pretty soon (probably tomorrow).
For work coding, I need to get quotas going… but that means I need to get something setup to email all the over quota people telling them they need to get stuff off the system. All and all, about 210 people (out of 1600) use about 50% of the space on our system (enforcing quotas for those users would free up 3TB of storage. About 6TB total is used right now).
Once I get them under control, I might even be able to do some type of backups of user data *shock*. Really not sure about that though.
On the AFP front, I’ll say that the current attempt to address the issue seems to be working. AFP has been running successfully for over 5 days now, and today we had about 45 users logged in (which is, I think, the highest usage this summer). I’m going to see if we can get a few users using Mail.app tomorrow to increase the load on the system, and see if that tickles any bugs.
I hope to add more plants to my list in the next few days. So far I’ve only added the one that I remember specifically where I got, etc.
Alright, that’s it for tonight. More later this week.