Using the wonder that is a personal website, I’m spending today working on optimizing page load times on my site. I’m already ran my theme images through smush.it, and am now working on hosting static files on a non-cookied domain.
Better rewrite code: here dealing with better mod_rewrite code for a wordpress permalink site, is, amazing.
It significantly sped up this site, and I’m planning to implement it on a couple other sites tomorrow at work.
Also of note, I do a fair amount of post revisions, which added up to about 600 or so revisions in wordpress. That can really slow down a site. So, I ran a nice plugin (though the “copy” on the wordpress site is HORRIBLE) called Delete-Revision that really helped speed up things (in addition to the above).
Links of Interest:
Update: So, I got my site up to an “A” score (90 points) on YSlow. The main problems were that for some reason, js files weren’t being compressed, I didn’t have ETags configured, and I needed to get Expires Headers working. They are now working. When I started, my score was in the 70’s. As for Google PageSpeed, I’m at a 95/100. For the longest time, I couldn’t get cookies to not cross domains. Turns out, hidden in the google docks here, I had to set the setDomainName to “None” to disable cross subdomain tracking. Since I got that fixed, google is bitching about parallelizing downloads. So, I’ll have to work on that a bit more. Might set up a rewritemap to randomly rewrite requests to static content to various aliases of my static subdomain… we’ll have to see if this works. =/